How To Butterfly-cut Meat
"Butterflying" put simply, a cut of meat is when you slice the meat through the middle to make it thinner. There are many reasons to do this, the most popular being to prepare the meat for stuffing & rolling.
The most popular meat for this is beef flank steak, loin, and chicken breast.
It's a great way to turn a plain meal into something pretty impressive and the best part, is that it's not too hard to do!
If you find, after the instructions below, you still don't feel confident doing this, it may help to find a video on youtube.
Meat cuisine does offer pre-butterflied meat for you, so all you have to do is check out our stuffing recipes for ideas.
HOW TO BUTTERFLY CUT A PORK LOIN
1. Lay the pork loin on your chopping board or cutting surface horizontally.
2.Place your hand on the top of the loin to keep it steady and, using a sharp knife- in a smooth fashion (you don't want to take to it like a builder sawing wood), start to cut the loin in half horizontally. Make sure you are cutting directly through the middle-you want two even halves.
3. It becomes easier once you've made your first couple of slices as you can pull the top layer away.
4. Slice carefully so that the meat stay intact- you don't want to completely separate the meat.
5. Once your meat is butterflied you can use it as is or pound it thinner between two sheets of plastic wrap with a meat mallet.
6. When your meat is stuffed, you can roll the meat or fold it back over. You may need to secure it with netting, string or toothpicks for roasting.
7. Once roasted you can slice into steaks like the picture shown above.
"Just wanted to let you know that you folks have allowed my husband and I to send my Daughter and Son-in-Law the perfect gifts. We live in the US and they live in Auckland! It's very difficult, being so far away, to know what they might need and sending things they want can be as expensive to mail as to acquire! But everyone looks forward to having such wonderful high quality meats your company provides! Thank you so much for your terrific quality products and outstanding service!"