Olive & Parsley Crusted Lamb with Kumara Citrus Salad
Prep time: 25 minutes
Cook time: 10 minutes
4 x 180g Meat Cuisine lamb strip loins
1 cup black olives, seeds removed
½ cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
4 tsp grated lemon rind or finely chopped preserved lemon
1 tsp Maldon Sea salt
Kumara citrus salad,
500g small red kumara, left whole, scrubbed clean (sold in 500g bags as kumara sweeties).
1 tsp salt
1 bag washed baby spinach
3 oranges, peeled & cut into segments (reserve juice for dressing)
1 small brown onion, finely sliced
2 Tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 Tbsp boiling water
½ cup olive oil
3 Tbsp orange juice
1. Finely chop olives and combine with parsley, lemon rind and salt. Season the lamb with cracked pepper then spread the seasoning over the lamb with your fingers and pat on. Place lamb onto an oiled oven tray and set aside while preparing other ingredients.
2. Place the kumara into a saucepan cover with water and salt. Bring to the boil then simmer for 12 minutes. Drain and return to the saucepan then cover with cold water. Leave for a couple of minutes then drain into a colander. Peel away the kumara skins with your finger tips and run under water if needed to remove all skin. The kumara will have a lovely red colour all over.
3. Place lamb loins into the hot 200 o C oven, cook for 8-10 minutes. For a lamb loin of 180g this will be cooked to medium rare. If you like a medium to well cooked lamb then cook it for 10 minutes.
Scatter spinach leaves onto a platter or shallow salad bowl. Cut the kumara into thick slices and layer over the spinach alternating with orange segments. Sprinkle over sliced onion.
4. To make the dressing place the mustard into a small bowl. Whisk in the boiling water drop by drop. Beat in the olive oil drop by drop until dressing is thick and creamy. Add orange juice and season with salt and pepper.
5. Remove lamb from the oven and allow it to rest covered with foil in a warm place for 5 minutes. Slice thickly and serve. (One loin per person.) Serve with a helping of kumara citrus salad on the side drizzled with fresh dressing.
* Lamb strip loin
The strip loin is a boned lamb rack, which is a premium, cut of lamb. It is more expensive as it is fully prepared, so you have no wastage just top quality meat. It is a versatile cut and cut either be panfried, stir fried, barbecued, grilled or roasted. It cooks quickly and is very tender.
* Quick cooking cuts of meat
Generally fully trimmed and prepared meats are quick to cook. These cuts or meat are ideal for an easy mid week meal or simple and stylish entertaining. If you would to serve this meal to friends then it can easily be prepared in advance then cooked at the final minute. Once you have put the crust on the lamb loins then simply chill for as long as needed. Remove them from the fridge about 15-20 minutes before cooking to allow to warm up a little. The salad can be made in advance and then dressing added just before serving.
Other crust ideas:
*If you don’t like olives then omit them and add sun dried tomatoes instead. Use tomatoes which are soaked in olive oil but drain them well onto paper towel before cutting.
*Another tasty crust is fresh herbs, fresh bread crumbs. Spread a thin layer of whole grain mustard over each lamb loin then scatter over a mix of herbs and crumbs. Drizzle with a little oil, salt and pepper then bake.
*Another nice coating could be a flavoured rub or spice mix. Rub a little oil into each lamb loin then roll in a little of the flavoured rub.
*Using a small blender or mortar and pestle, make a paste out of fresh rosemary leaves, mint leaves and garlic then use this as a fresh rub. Use a tablespoon or so per lamb loin and bake or roast to cook
Recipe created by Tracey Sunderland © 15-07-07
"Just wanted to let you know that you folks have allowed my husband and I to send my Daughter and Son-in-Law the perfect gifts. We live in the US and they live in Auckland! It's very difficult, being so far away, to know what they might need and sending things they want can be as expensive to mail as to acquire! But everyone looks forward to having such wonderful high quality meats your company provides! Thank you so much for your terrific quality products and outstanding service!"